If you are a dishwasher owner and are facing the dishwasher smelling issue, don’t worry you are not alone.
There’s a whole club of people facing the same situation. Dishwashers require special care and maintenance.
In this article, we will describe some tips that can help you when your dishwasher is smelling fishy.
Now, let’s begin with the solution after knowing the reasons behind the smelly dishwashers.
Probable reasons behind the stinky dishwasher
As you know every situation is caused by multiple causes behind it. So, how can we expect the dishwasher to stink only because of one reason?
You have to be skeptical and find out which of the following reason is causing the smell in your dishwasher:
- The drain hose is clogged.
- The spray arm is clogged.
- Your dishwasher filter is clogged.
You can avoid these situations by following simple solutions
The foremost solution can be cleaning the drainpipe, filters, interior, exterior, and the spray arm of your dishwasher regularly.
If the area you live in has hard water, and you can use water softener salts, have a regular check on its levels.
Let’s see how can you clean your Dishwasher.
How to make your dishwasher stink-free?
You just have to follow the solutions mentioned below, and BOOM, wave goodbye to the unpleasant smell from your dishwasher.
Solution 1: A cup of vinegar is all you need
There are multiple solutions to ‘dishwasher smells’ trouble. The most common solution is placing a cup filled with vinegar and starting the hot cycle in your dishwasher.
- Take a dishwasher-safe cup or any other extra cup that you’re not using for serving food.
- Fill it with vinegar.
- Place it on the top rack of your dishwasher.
- Turn on the hottest cycle available in your dishwasher.
There are 99% chances that the vinegar cleansing cycle will take away all clogged particles and stink with it. And, you will get your stink-free dishwasher back.
Vinegar being highly acidic, please do not use it in routine. Else, your dishwasher’s interior might suffer. Use it once in a month or while the cleaning schedule of your dishwasher.
Solution 2: Nothing but Baking soda can help
If you are not willing to expose your dishwasher to vinegar, baking soda is the best alternative.
- Take some baking soda in a bowl and pour it on the bottom part of the dishwasher.
- Run the hot water cycle and wait for the cycle to complete. Just like vinegar, there are high chances of evaporating stink away from your dishwasher by using baking soda too.
Solution 3: Lime juice can turn the tables on stink
Get a cup full of lime juice. The cup should be dishwasher safe. Now, you have to just place this cup filled with citric acid on the top rack of your dishwasher and start the hot water cycle.
Wait for the cycle to complete. And as usual, the acidic nature of this juice helps to clear the clogs.
Also, it helps to keep the interior of the dishwasher fresh and pleasant. Stink-free dishwasher at cost of some lemons, amazing right?
I prefer this solution most of the time when I pick up the cleaning of my dishwasher.
How to avoid the situation of smelly dishwashers?
As you might have heard that prevention is better than cure, you should prevent smelly dishwashers.
Here are some tips for saving your dishwasher from stink, smell, and clogging. Let’s discuss it.
- Pick up huge chunks of food and clean them before loading them into the dishwasher.
- If you are still confused about how to load and use the dishwasher, read the guide and refer to it.
- Clean regularly the drain hose, spray arm, filters, detergent section, drainage section, and other parts of the dishwasher
Eventually, if you are not cleaning your dishwasher regularly, there will be a time when you have to scrub the whole interior.
It will be more tense and time-consuming to clean every interior part of the dishwasher. Hence, avoid delaying in cleaning the dishwasher and do it now if possible.
Along with the interior, also clean the exterior with a clean cloth regularly.
If your dishwasher stinks after proper cleaning, the problem can be huge.
Without any wait, please call a professional or the respective brand. If necessary, go to the service station and complain about your trouble.