Joe Root continues his red-hot form in the ongoing five-match series and scored another hundred against India in the third test at Leeds, on Thursday. England captain brought his hundred by whipping the ball to the deep mid-wicket boundary, removed his helmet, punched the air in delight, and got applauded by the home crowd. This is Root’s sixth hundred of the year. The England captain is in form of his life. Root also became 1st player to score hundreds in 3 consecutive Tests twice in the same year. He had hit a century in each of the last two Tests in Nottingham (109) and Lord’s (180*).
Records broken by Joe Root during his century at Leeds
- Joe Root became the first player to score hundreds in three successive tests twice in the same calendar year.
2. Root (39) surpassed Alastair Cook (38) in terms of most hundreds scored for England.
3. Joe Root is now the highest run-getter as England’s captain in the calendar year.
4. This was 12th hundred as England’s Test captain for Joe Root equalling Alastair Cook’s record.
5. Root became the third England player to hit six hundred in a calendar year after Dennis Compton (in 1947) and Michael Vaughan in 2002.
6. He became the first player to score a hundred in his 100th Test innings as a captain.
7. The England captain now has the most hundreds (8) during India vs England Test matches, surpasses Rahul Dravid.
8. He has now scored eight hundreds against India equaling Steve Smith, Viv Richards, and Ricky Ponting.
9. Root has now hit most fifty-plus scores as a captain during England vs India matches in England.
2021 – The year of Joe Root
228 v Sri Lanka, Galle
186 v Sri Lanka, Galle
218 v India, Chennai
109 v India, Trent Bridge
180* v India, Lord’s
121 v India, Headingley